How Can We Achieve Sustainability?
Sustainability is one of the 21st century’s most prominent “buzz” words.
Other phrases that we often hear that mean basically the same thing are:
- Going green
- Environmentally Friendly
- Environmental Impact
A good definition of Environmental Sustainability would be:
” Environmental sustainability is development that meets the needs of the present generation without compromising the ability of future generations to meet their own needs.”
Ultimately it means being good stewards of the earth’s resources, using them while not abusing them.
As the current stewards of this earth’s resources we need to be aware of and act upon those things that will preserve our environment.
An unsustainable situation would occur when nature’s resources are used up before they can be replenished.
There are two kinds of resources:
- Sustainable – such as lumber, fish stocks, wild life. These are things that can be used up, but we are able to replace or allow them to replace themselves if used conservatively. Even the wind would be considered sustainable, because it can never get used up.
- Unsustainable – these are resources that we can’t replace, when they are used up, they do no regenerate, they are gone. They are such things as minerals, natural gas and oil. We must use them in a very responsible way.
What can we do to preserve the earth’s resources?
- Recycle – purchase products in containers that can be recycled, and then do it.
- Conserve water usage
- Use public transit
- Avoid pesticides in your yard
- Dispose of paint and other chemically based products properly
- Lower the thermostat in the winter – wear a sweater.
- Use LED or energy efficient lights
- Save electricity – turn off the lights
- Use solar power when possible
These are just a few of the many things that each individual can do to be better earth stewards.
MasterCraft Roofing uses GAF roofing materials. GAF has many “Green” Environmentally-Friendly Roofing Options that offer:
- Energy Savings – using reflective roofing we can help you lower energy usage.
- Environmental Protection by using many recycled materials.
- Less industrial waste by lowering the amount of roof debris that needs to go into landfills.
- Solar roofing
If it’s time for a new roof for your home, before you replace it, consider using sustainable materials.
Give us a call and we’ll come out and give you a free estimate.