How to Tarp Your Roof
“When it rains it pours”… and that’s just fine as long as the rain stays outside your home and doesn’t find its way inside. But what if it doesn’t stay outside? What if because of poor maintenance, stormy weather or a roof that’s outlived its usefulness, your roof begins to leak. You may not notice it a first, it may take a while before it actually comes through your ceiling, but once you are aware, you’re going to want it fixed as soon as possible.
The problem is, chances are that a roofing company may not be able to come fix it right away. Even a day or two of leaking can cause a great deal of damage, so you may need to take matters into your own hands and do something that will temporarily keep the water out. You may need to put a tarp on your roof.
We’ve all seen those roofs sporting blue tarps and never wanted to have one of our own, but putting one up can be very helpful protecting your home from further damage if it’s done correctly.
Tips for tarping your roof:
A properly tarped roof can be effective for up to 90 days if necessary.
Tools and materials you will need:
- A woven plastic tarp. (The thicker the better)
- Tarps come in a few sizes, so you will need to know the size of the area that needs to be covered before you purchase your tarp, but keep in mind that it should cover at least 4 ft. beyond the damaged area, top and bottom.
- 2 x 4 pieces of lumber that are about 2 ft longer than the tarp width.
- Nails, about 3 1/4 inches long
- Ladder, Gloves, Hammer, Utility Knife and Safety Goggles
Where to begin:
- Begin by practicing good safety habits.
- This is not a job to tackle when your roof is wet.
- Don’t stand on the tarp.
- Harness yourself to the roof to prevent falling.
- Next you need to locate the damaged area.
To prepare your tarp and install it on your roof, enjoy this brief, but very informative video produced by Lowes Home Improvement. Although they’re talking about damage from hurricanes, damage due to any reason can be covered using this procedure.
If your roof needs replacement or repair, give us a call, we’ll be happy to come and give you a free estimate.
MasterCraft Roofing Services is the Seattle Area’s Best Roofing Company
Our repairmen are highly trained in most types of roofing systems
During the Project: We employ OSHA standards for safety, we use the highest quality tools and materials. Along with a quality roof, we intend to leave your property in better shape than when we found it. We police our nails and debris with military discipline.