How Important is a Good Roofing Subcontractor?
If you’re a general contractor, building someone’s home, you realize the importance of hiring a good roofing subcontractor.
Both you and the homeowner depend on the roof to keep the outside, outside where it belongs. As it keeps the elements out, it not only protects the house’s structure, but it also protects the family inside and all of their belongings.
It’s obvious that the roof is one of the home’s most important components. So hiring a subcontractor that will install the roof correctly is of the utmost importance.
What’s so important about a subcontractor?
Since you are the one under contract with the homeowner, when you hire a subcontractor, you look for someone who will do a job that is representative of the type of effort, commitment and quality that you are known for. Your subcontractor also needs to be someone that you know you can depend on and trust.
Hiring a “sub” can sometimes be challenging.
Tips for hiring a great subcontractor:
- Referrals – Always get referrals, try to get at least 4 names. Good resources would be…
- People in the industry, whose work you know and trust.
- Your client may have a referral they would like you to consider.
- Supply houses can offer good suggestions.
- Building inspectors often have good referrals – they know what you’re looking for.
- Building or neighborhood associations probably know reputable companies.
- Interviews – Conducting a phone interview can give you a good idea of how you feel about a potential roofer.
- You can determine your comfort level with the candidate.
- You can determine if they are confident, if they are available and what their expertise is.
- References – Always check their references.
- If possible, go to a site they have worked on and check on the quality of their workmanship.
- Narrow it down – Hopefully you will be able to choose 2-3 names from the pool you began with.
- Get Bids – Have each subcontractor submit a bid. You may not choose the least expensive bid, you may instead choose the one that seems the most reasonable for the job.
Having gone through this type of preparation, you should be able to feel confident in your choice and feel confident that the job will be done up to your standards.
MasterCraft Roofing is the Seattle WA area’s best roofing company. Using all types of roofing materials, from shake, to composition to metal, we install with quality precision and always complete the job on time.
Our team is the most highly trained in the roofing industry in the Northwest.
If you’re looking for a roofing subcontractor that you can trust, we’d be happy talk to you and give you references and a free estimate for your job. 206-446-4972