What Affects Your Roof’s Performance?
If you’re getting a new roof on a new home or you’re replacing a roof on an existing home, one of the most important things for you to consider is “what will affect how your roof performs?” Your roof is an expensive, valuable and extremely important part of your home’s structure, so it’s understandable that you want it to be sturdy, durable and long lasting.
In order for you to get what you need and desire in a new roof, there are a few things that would be helpful for you to understand.
Factors that affect your roof’s performance:
Some of these factors may seem obvious to you, while others aren’t quite as obvious, nevertheless, they’re all important.
- Choice of roofing material for the slope of your roof: Unfortunately, we can’t choose a roofing material just because we like it. A large part of the criteria for choosing what goes on your roof is understanding that the pitch of the roof makes a big difference.
- If your roof is low pitched, conventional shingles won’t work, because water from rain and snow won’t drain off as fast as on a pitched roof. Rather, the water will sit and have the opportunity to soak into the shingles. A roofing system that has a water tight seal is your best choice for a low slope roof.
- Also not a good choice for low slope roofs are wood shake or slate, for the same reason as above…water would be allow to permeate the shingle, creating the possibility of damage and leakage.
- Composition shingles, or commonly referred to as asphalt are by far the most popular, cost effective and versatile of all the materials.
- Understand how the weather in your location will affect your roof: Choosing the wrong type of roofing materials for your climate will most likely cause your roof to fail prematurely.
- Quality of roofing materials: Even though new roofs can be expensive, it’s important not to cut costs. Yes, there are less expensive material that you can purchase, but the small savings today could lead to large expenditures tomorrow if your roof fails before its time.
- What’s in your attic: The ventilation and insulation in your attic is crucial to the life expectancy of your roof.
- Your roof’s performance depends largely upon you: How well you keep your roof cleaned and maintained is one of the largest factors as to how it will perform.
- Understand the warranty that come with your new roof: Be sure your warranty protects you and not the manufacturer. Understand what happens if something goes wrong or fails prematurely…who will cover what. Also understand what will nullify your warranty, such as “Mother Nature”, lack of proper maintenance or any other conditions.
- Not all roofing contractors are created equal: Be sure to find a roofer you can trust to do the job right. Don’t be afraid to check out a roofing company before hiring them…check their references, training, and qualifications. Be on the alert for roofing scammers. Make sure the contractor you choose is licensed and insured. Always get a written contract.
For all your roofing needs…
MasterCraft Roofing Services is the Seattle Area’s Best Roofing Company. We are licensed, bonded and insured for your protection. Our highly trained team is committed to your complete satisfaction, which is why we have high standards and only use quality materials for every job.