Is It Important to Have a Roof Inspection?
Let me begin by saying that probably the biggest investment most of us will ever make is buying a home.
So it stands to reason that a high priority would be to protect that investment, our home, the best we can. The best way to protect it is to have a good roof that will keep the weather and the elements outside where they belong…thus keeping our home, our belongings and us safe and dry.
If you’re like so many homeowners, the roof is one of the last things you think about unless water begins to drip through the ceiling. The problem with that is once you have reached that point, the problems may be large and so will the repair bill.
Consider the health of your roof…
Just like your own body should have periodical and regular checkups to make sure it is healthy and in good condition, your roof needs the same consideration to make sure it is performing at its optimum.
When a roof is in disrepair, you can expect:
- Leaks that cause serious, costly damage to your home’s structure, ceilings and walls
- Mold growth that destroys and can cause illness
Areas of your roof that need inspection:
- The attic is a great place to begin:
- check the ventilation by making sure that all the intake openings are clear
- look for wet or damaged wood
- be aware of rusty nails that might indicate too much moisture
- watch for black mold growth on the wood
- look for signs of life (animals that have taken up residence)
- From the ground a visual inspection can be conducted, looking for:
- areas that may be sagging
- missing shingles
- From the roof, look for:
- shingle condition; look for cracked,raised, damaged or missing shingles
- nails that have popped up
- flashings that are damaged, loose or missing
- damaged, loose or missing rain gutters or downspouts
- areas where debris has built up
- moss growth
Who will inspect your roof? Certainly you can do it, but not only can it be dangerous for you to be up there, but do you know how to walk on your roof without damaging it and do you really know what to look for once you’re up there?
The safest and most effective thing you can do is hire a professional to clean, maintain and inspect your roof at least once a year.
MasterCraft Roofing Services is the Seattle Area’s Best Roofing Company.
Contact us for a Free Estimate