Tips on Filing a Damaged Roof Insurance Claim
Your roof is generally the first point of contact when an event occurs that will damage your house…falling trees, hail, wind or ice. Roof damage is something you don’t want to delay repairing, because when your roof is damaged, you, your home and its contents are at risk.
Roof repair or replacement can be quite costly, but luckily it will more than likely be covered under your homeowner’s insurance policy. Nevertheless, making the insurance claim can be a complicated process in and of itself. So in order to do it as seamlessly and efficiently as possible, here are some tips to help you.
File Your Insurance Claim:
- The first thing you should do is review your policy so you understand what it will cover, and what your deductible (out-of-pocket expense) will be.
- Have your roof inspected by a roofing specialist who knows what to look for and who will document your roof’s damage with photos.
- Start a file for all the pictures and documents relating to your claim.
- It’s a good idea to call your insurance company to report the damage as soon as possible. They will issue you a claim number that you will want to keep in your file.
- Your insurance company will put you in touch with a claims adjuster who will set up a time to come out and look at your damage. Have all your documentation ready, and if possible, have the roofing specialist who inspected the damage also be there. He will be able to point out damage that the claims adjuster might not see or be aware of.
- Within a few days, you should receive communication from your insurance company with their determination of what is necessary to fix or replace your roof, and how much they will pay to have the work done.
It’s important to note:
- A well maintained roof will be better covered than a neglected roof which will be weaker and more susceptible to damage.
- Your homeowners’ insurance premiums must be up-to-date.
- If this is the first claim you have made on your policy, it may not affect the cost of your premiums.
When you’re looking for a roofing specialist, never settle for less than the best.
MasterCraft Roofing Services is the Seattle Area’s Best Roofing Company…we’re always looking out for you.
Contact us for a Free Estimate