Does Your Roof Need to be Replaced?
There are several things you will consider when it’s time to replace your old roof:
- Probably top on the list is, “how much will it cost?”
- Will you do your own installation or will you have it professionally done?
- What type of materials will you use?
- How will you dispose of the old roof?
Here is a new idea for you, and it’s one that will not only save you money, but eliminate disposing of the old roof.
Consider Roofing Over Your Existing Roof
This is a great option to consider!
GAF-ELK shingles can be installed over existing strip shingles, T-lock shingles, wood shingles, laminated shingles and other premium asphalt shingles.
These are a few ideas to consider before making your decision.
What is required to roof over existing shingles?
- There should only be one existing roof in place. If there are already 2 roofs in place, a complete tear off will be necessary. Most local codes will only allow for a total of 2 roofs on a structure.
- The existing roof should provide a smooth surface. All loose or protruding nails should be removed. Loose, curled or lifted shingles, should be nailed down and any missing shingles should be replaced.
- A complete tear off should occur if…
- If there is more than one existing roof in place.
- If the old surface is so badly damaged or weathered that it cannot provide a smooth surface.
- If the roof deck itself is too deteriorated and needs replacing itself.
- Shingles should not be installed over the following:
- Wood Shakes
- Tile or Metal Roofs
- Roll Roofing
- Asbestos Shingles
- Insulation or Roof Decking other that wood.
- You’re adding an extra roof over your head, which adds more protection.
- You add extra insulation and therefore become more energy efficient.
- Since there is no tear off, there is less debris for our landfills.
- It is an eco-friendly solution.
Give us a call today for a free quote and see if this is a good option for you!
**originally published 12/8/10