What Questions Should Home Buyers Ask Their Home Inspector?
Buying a home, new or previously lived in, is an exciting time. But it’s a busy time also…there is so much to do and so much to make sure is done before the paperwork is all signed and you have the house keys in your hand.
One of the most important things on your list will be the home inspection. Although you have looked the house over pretty carefully, you are more than likely unaware of all the things that should be looked at. That’s why it’s important to hire a home inspector who has been trained to do just that.
Your inspector can point out areas that may need work, that are hazardous, or that have potential problems. He/she will go into the attic, the crawl space (all the dirty places), he’ll check the furnace, the plumbing, the electrical, the roof and various other places.
One home inspector went so far as to tell the new homeowner-to-be that the bathtub plug didn’t work properly.
Many of the things you learn won’t change your mind as to whether or not you continue forward with your purchase, but you will get a great overview of the real condition of your future home.
Choose an independent inspector, one who is not affiliated with your real estate agent. Choose carefully, make sure they’re working for you and have your best interest in mind. Alter all, you’re the new homeowner.
Be prepared with your own checklist of things to discuss with the inspector.
What to Ask Before Hiring an Inspector
- Are you a licensed home inspector? Ask to see their license.
- Find out if you are welcome to be in attendance and ask questions during the inspection.
- Is their training in residential or commercial inspections?
- What is the cost?
- Are there areas of the house that they won’t inspect?
- Are they responsible if they miss an important problem? Are they insured? (Ask for “Errors and Omissions” coverage.)
- Will they be inspecting the roof? Many inspectors will not climb up on the roof, which is a critical area of protection for your home, and a costly one if there are unseen repairs needed.
When it comes to your roof, never settle for less than the best.
MasterCraft Roofing Services is the Seattle Area’s Best Roofing Company…we’re always looking out for you and your roof.
Contact us for a Free Estimate