What Should You Look for When You Hire a Roofer?
Is it time to replace your home’s roof?
Will you replace it yourself or hire a professional roofer?
Getting a new roof is expensive…you can save some money if you do it yourself, but it can also cost more if you don’t know what you’re doing, plus your time has to be worth something. I have watched homeowners try to do it themselves, and some have taken up to 3 weeks or more to finish the job. In addition, there are countless safety issues involved.
It’s been said before, but it’s worth saying again:
“You don’t know what you don’t know…”
Do you know about:
- The best shingle for your home
- The right under layment
- Fixing or replacing flashings
- Working around skylights, chimneys, gutters and vents
- Making sure your attic’s ventilation is preserved
- Tearing off and disposing of the previous roof correctly
- Where to place your nails or staples properly and what size to use
- Is the wood sheathing in good condition or does it need to be replaced
These are all things that a professional roofer will know. But all “roofers” are not created equal. So if you’re going to hire a roofing contractor, you’ll need to know how to qualify them.
When You Hire a Roofer:
- Begin by asking for current licenses and insurance certificates and Workman’s Comp Certificate
- You can check with local licensing boards to be sure there aren’t any complaints about the contractor
- Ask for references
- Who will be completing the work. If sub contractors are involved, you will also want to see their licences and certificates.
- Get a written quote or estimate for the work to be done
- Have a signed contract that spells out everything you have agreed upon, including start and finish times of the job, materials to be used, warranties that are included and what kind of clean up you can expect.
- Work out a reasonable down payment – never pay in full up front. Agree to when the final payment will be paid.
- Always discuss the protection of your landscaping and your gutters
Getting a new roof is no small undertaking, be sure you have the right team for you job.
MasterCraft Roofing Services is the Seattle Area’s Best Roofing Company.
During the Project: We employ OSHA standards for safety, we use the highest quality tools and materials because there is more than just shingles. Along with a quality roof, we intend to leave your property in better shape than when we found it. We police our nails and debris with military discipline.
Contact us for a Free Estimate