Is Time to Clean Your Roof?
It may not be Spring, but it’s always a good time to be thinking about your roof. In fact, it’s always a good “time to think about your roof”!
It’s a good time to to inspect your roof for any damage that might have been previously done, clean off loose debris, clean out the gutters and downspouts and check for moss and mildew growth.
Preparing and caring for your roof before winter is a good idea, so that it can take care of you..
Every roof has a life expectancy. Nevertheless, a roof that should last 25 years may only make it to 15 years if it is not maintained and cleaned on a regular basis.
Reasons neglected roofs shouldn’t be neglected:
- Roofs are expensive to replace.
- Algae that grows on your shingles will eat at the base of the shingle.
- Algae loosens the granules on your shingles and shortens your roof’s life.
- Moss is a menace on your roof.
- Not only does it’s growth push up shingles, making your roof more susceptible to wind damage, but it absorbs water, keeping your roof wet, as well as damming up the water from rainfall which forces the water to run at a sideways angle leading to leaks.
- Missing shingles ruin the integrity of your roof and can lead to leaks.
- Energy costs can be increased by the algae (black stains) growing on your roof. It absorbs the heat more than the shingle, which keeps your attic too warm.
- Since warm air from the house has already risen into the attic, together with the extra stored warmth from algae makes it difficult to cool the house in the summer.
- Property value is reduced. If you are putting your house on the market, a neglected roof makes potential buyers worry about the maintenance of the rest of your home, along with the fact that they don’t want to replace the roof themselves in a short period of time.
- Poor curb appeal can be a real issue.
Is it time to clean your roof?
If you decide that it’s time to wash your roof, it shouldn’t always be pressure washed. Pressure washing can loosen or force off the granules that protect your roof. After you get your roof cleaned, the best thing you can do is to prevent further algae or moss growth.
If you decide it’s time to clean or replace your roof, give us a call. We would be happy to come out and give you an estimate.
**originally published 3/23/11