Are Asphalt Roof Shingles Right for Your Home?
Whether you are re-roofing your current home or choosing a roof for new construction, you have many choices for the materials you use.
The most frequently chosen, and also probably the most affordable and versatile is asphalt shingles. With asphalt shingles you not only have color and size options, but also shape, thickness and grade (these options help determine the life span of your roof…20-30 years).
Asphalt Shingles 101:
I don’t think that most people are aware that there are 2 types of asphalt shingles:
- Organic – Comprised of organic materials such as wood fiber and chips, waste paper, cardboard, and rags. These materials are manufactured into the “mat” and then saturated with asphalt in order to make them waterproof. Once this process is complete, the shingles are then coated with an asphalt adhesive, in which ceramic granules are embedded for protection from UV rays. Because they have higher amounts of asphalt than fiberglass shingles, they are heavier, more costly, and many think they are less eco-friendly.
- Fiberglass – The mat base of fiberglass shingles is made from woven fiberglass and coated and waterproofed with asphalt, then the ceramic granules for UV ray protection are added. Because there is less asphalt used than in organic shingles, these shingles are thinner, thus lighter weight. They also have a much better fire rating and a longer warranty. For obvious reasons, they are the preferred choice of not only homeowners but contractors as well.
Why choose asphalt shingles?
Aside from the fact that asphalt shingles, are less expensive than many other roofing options, they are durable and easy to install. But there are also other “plus” factors or benefits to consider when choosing your roofing.
- They benefit the environment, asphalt shingles are recyclable.
- They are easily maintained and easily repaired or replaced.
- Most asphalt shingles offer a Class A rating for fire resistance.
- Unlike other types of roofing, asphalt shingles have ceramic granules embedded to protect your roof from the harmful UV rays of the sun.
- Some have copper or zinc coated granules embedded to help deter growth of algae which damages and stains your roof.
- You can purchase laminated shingles, which are shingles with 2-3 shingles laminated together. This gives them a more dimensional look and mimics the look of other, more expensive materials such as wood or tile. They are also more durable and carry longer warranties.
- Their look can be customized to more closely match and enhance the look of your home, with a variety of colors and shapes to choose from.
For a roofing material that can give you great curb appeal, architectural and dimensional appeal, and is one of the best values on the market, asphalt shingles are a great choice.
If your roof needs replacement or repair, Contact us, we’ll be happy to come and give you a complimentary estimate and provide great options for your roofing materials.
MasterCraft Roofing Services is the Seattle Area’s Best Roofing Company
Our repairmen are highly trained in most types of roofing systems
During the Project: We employ OSHA standards for safety, we use the highest quality tools and materials. Along with a quality roof, we intend to leave your property in better shape than when we found it. We police our nails and debris with military discipline.